Need help with UK immigration?

EEA Permanent Residence2019-03-31T20:04:34+00:00

EEA Permanent Residence (EEA PR) Overview

Permanent Residence (PR) is confirming your rights to live in the UK as a settled person indefinitely, free from immigration restrictions.

  • You and/or your family member are from these countries:
    • All European Union (EU) countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain & Sweden
    • Other European Economic Area (EEA) countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein & Norway
    • Switzerland
  • You and/or your family member may apply under the EEA Regulations as
    • EEA or Swiss national and dependents relying upon the rights of:
      • An EEA or Swiss national who has resided in the UK in accordance with EEA Regulations for 5 years continuously exercising EU Treaty rights
      • An EEA or Swiss national formal worker or self-employed person who has ceased activity in the UK because you have retired, are permanently incapacitated, or you are now working or self- employed in another EEA state or Switzerland but still maintain your residence in the UK
  • Non-EEA or Swiss family members and dependents as a non-EEA or Swiss family member who has resided in the UK with the EEA or Swiss national in accordance with EEA Regulations for 5 years continuously exercising EU Treaty rights
  • A former family member of an EEA or Swiss national if you have retained your right of residence after the EEA or Swiss national died or left the UK, or your marriage or civil partnership ended in divorce, annulment or dissolution.
  • A family member of a British citizen who worked or was self-employed in another EEA state or Switzerland before returning to the UK (‘Surinder Singh’ cases)
  • The family member or extended family member of an EEA or Swiss national who has ceased activity
  • The family member or extended family member of an EEA or Swiss national former worker or self-employed person who has died.

What counts as the 5 years of continuous period under EEA Regulations?

  • May be a historic or recent period
  • You have been exercising EU Treaty rights throughout this period as a qualified person
  • There should be no more than 6 months’ continuous absence in each of the 5 years (unless there are serious medical reasons, work travel, pregnancy, military service or others)

The EEA or Swiss nationals acquire the right to permanent residence for themselves or their family members after living in the UK for 5 years continuously as a “qualified person”.

Who is a “qualified person” under EEA Regulations?

In accordance to regulation 6 of the free movement regulation, you need to be an EEA or Swiss national who is living in the UK as one of the following for a continuous period of 5 years (historic or recent):

  • A job seeker: a person who enters the UK to seek employment and can provide evidence of seeking employment
  • A worker: a person who is in employment, either full or part time
  • A self- employed person: a person who runs their business for themselves and generate an income in a self- employed capacity
  • A self- sufficient person: a person who has sufficient resources not to become a burden on the UK, and who has a comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI) cover in the UK
  • A student: a person who is enrolled in a course of study at a private or public establishment and who has a comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI) cover in the UK

* Obtaining permanent residency is a necessary condition to apply for British citizenship.

A Permanent Residence Card will be issued in successful applications. In accordance to EEA Regulations, the right of permanent residence is lost through absence from the United Kingdom for a period exceeding two years continuously.

Update Since the Brexit referendum

The EEA Permanent Residence Card has been our most popular application. Fortunately, we have also maintained a 100% success rate in all our EEA(PR) applications.

Examples of our successful clients’ cases:

– Permanent Residence Card granted in 2 months: A Dutch client who has spent over 20 years in the UK as working in multinational firms as a qualified Chartered Accountant and as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in various tech start-ups. We presented his historic 5 years’ continuous period including a combination of employment and self-employment.

– Permanent Residence Card granted in 3 months: An Italian client had accumulated nearly 10 years of UK residence, however he had approximately 6 months’ gap in his latest year due to business travels in Spain. We managed to persuade the Home Office with strong legal arguments and court precedents.

– A Thai client who resided in the UK for 5 years under the EEA Residence Card, as the spouse of her French national husband. Her Sponsor (the French husband) worked as an employed and self-employed person throughout the 5 years’ continuous period, however he had several months of inactivity as a jobseeker.  The Permanent Residence Card was granted due to comprehensive documentation showing that he never stopped exercising EU Treaty Rights despite the temporary gaps.

Home Office Fee:

The current Home Office fee for application is £65 per person.

Link to the Home Office website a-uk- residence-card/permanent- residence-card

Link to the EEA PR application form

Whilst the Home Office published processing time is 6 months, we find that a well-presented case enables the Home Office to make a decision much quicker.  We look forward to securing your rights to stay in the UK amidst the Brexit uncertainties. Speak to us about our ‘Friends and Family Package’ for a special rate when applying as a couple or group.