Spouse Visa2018-12-16T11:09:56+00:00
  • Spouse Visa and Partner Visa - QC Immigration - Immigration Lawyers In London

Spouse Visa

A spouse visa (also known as a Family of a Settled Person visa), enables a national from outside the EEA & Switzerland who is married or in a civil partnership with a British national or someone who is settled in the UK, to enter or remain in the UK with their partner.

In order to qualify for this route, you and your partner must both be over 18 and in a genuine relationship.  You must be able to prove that you are either:

  • married
  • in a civil partnership
  • been living together in a relationship for 2 years

You and your partner must intend to continue your relationship after you apply.  Furthermore, all previous relationships must have broken down permanently.

The route you choose affects how soon you can apply to settle permanently in the UK – there’s a 2-year route, a 5-year route and a 10-year route.

The eligibility for each criteria include:

Partner visa (2-year route):

You can only extend your ‘family of a settled person visa’ in this route if you:

  • applied as a partner before 9 July 2012
  • are not eligible to settle
  • have kept to the terms of your visa
  • you must meet the eligibility requirements for the partner routes and you must also prove that:
  • you and your partner have enough money to adequately support and accommodate yourselves and any dependants without relying on public funds
  • you have good knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over (CEFR level A1) *not if you’re applying in a 10-year route

Partner (5-year route):

You must meet the eligibility requirements for the partner routes if:

  • you’re 18 or over
  • you must prove that you have a good knowledge of English. (CEFR level A1)*not if you’re applying in a 10-year route
  • you must also meet the financial requirement of:
    • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
    • £22,400 per year for you and one child
    • £2,400 per year for each additional child

Family life as a partner (10-year route)

  • You must meet the eligibility requirements for the partner routes and you must also be in one of these situations:
    • there are serious reasons you and your partner can’t live together as a couple in another country (high threshold) *
    • you have a child in the UK who is a British citizen or has lived in the UK for 7 years and it wouldn’t be in their best interests to leave the UK with you

*Note: this route (in some cases) is for those who do not meet the requirements for a 5-year route

Link to the Home Office website

Guidance for the 2 and 5 year route: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-extend-stay-in-the-uk-as-a-partner-form-flrm

Guidance for the 5 and 10-year routes: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/chapter-8-appendix-fm-family-members

Guidance for other routes: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-extend-stay-in-the-uk-form-flrfp

Whilst the Home Office published processing time up to 6 months, we find that a well-presented case enables the Home Office to make a decision much quicker. Please contact us if you would like to discuss how we can help with this application.

Google Rating
consultation booking form
February 2019
learn more about how we work
Allyson Kolan
Allyson Kolan
12:15 19 Mar 18
My husband and I could never have navigated the spouse visa process without Qiyin. She is incredibly knowledgeable and really cares about her clients. I will absolutely be working with Qiyin in the future and recommend her highly. A massive thanks to her for making everything work out!
islam gias uddin
islam gias uddin
15:15 11 Mar 18
This is the best company in London. I really recommend EU citizens who wants to bring their family. Thanks Qiyin and Lesley.
Malgorzata Leskiewicz
Malgorzata Leskiewicz
13:35 06 Mar 18
What a amazing team to work with, very professional and caring. They are very well organised and communicative.I will recommend to everyone.
Nick Pantelireis
Nick Pantelireis
15:35 24 Jan 18
Very professional service providing information on documents I needed beforehand and answering questions via email. Then in person went through documents establishing gaps in the application and what further documents I should look to get hold of. Very comprehensive and very thorough. I believe the quality of the application and the speed with which QC put it together led to a decision from the home office within a month after submitting. Highly recommended!
fabrizio giani
fabrizio giani
09:35 18 Feb 17
I have been assisted by QC Immigration for my EEA Permanent Residence application. My case was not a standard one, with many interruptions in the presence in the UK due to my job. I have been guided through the difficult interpretation of the law to prepare and submit a robust application that was approved even more swiftly than the average normal times. I would highly recommend the services of QC Immigration.
Mazi Bahadori
Mazi Bahadori
18:21 13 Feb 17
Qiyin assisted my wife and I with a difficult visa transfer in an efficient, quick and cost-effective manner. She clearly outlined the process from the beginning, kept us fully informed through each step, and delivered our desired outcome at an incredibly reasonable cost. We would recommend her to anyone without hesitation.
Maheen Sadiq
Maheen Sadiq
14:44 13 Feb 17
Qiyin was absolutely wonderful throughout the process of my spouse visa application. Her guidance and advice made the process very easy, and she worked very closely with me and my husband, addressing all our questions and concerns. Thanks to QC Immigration, we had no issues once our application was filed, and my visa was granted within 3 weeks!
Jessica Spitzer
Jessica Spitzer
13:59 12 Feb 17
Whilst a lot of my colleagues/friends’ EEA Permanent Residency applications were unsuccessful, my application was approved faster than the anticipated time (less than 6 months). This wouldn’t have been possible without QC Immigration’s team strong legal expertise, ability to predict potential complications and thoroughness. Their approach was very personable whilst always remaining professional. Thank you again for making this so easy within stressful times.
Amin Khosravi
Amin Khosravi
07:56 08 Feb 17
Excellent service. QC responded promptly, provided me with thorough, precise and easy to follow advice. Exactly what I needed when I was stressing about my daughter's citizenship status. Thank you so much.
See All Reviews

5 star rating from
previous clients

[wpforms id="13726" title="false" description="false"]