Need help with UK immigration?

Tier 1 Investor Visa2019-04-05T11:56:32+00:00

Tier 1 Investor Visa

With an outstanding reputation for security, education and quality of life, the UK has become an attractive home for ambitious foreign investors and their families. The Tier 1 Investor visa is a desirable route for those looking to invest and settle in the UK.

We also have the following articles available with more information about the Tier 1 Investor Visa

You can apply for a Tier 1 Investor visa if you:

  • invest £2,000,000 or more in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies
  • work or study
  • bring family dependents
  • apply to settle after 2 years if you invest £10 million
  • apply to settle after 3 years if you invest £5 million
  • apply to settle after 5 years if you invest £2 million

You will have to provide evidence for the investment funds, which will depend on the route visa route taken.

  • You must:
    • be 18 or over to apply for this visa
    • be able to prove that the money belongs to either you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner
    • have opened an account at a UK regulated bank to use for your funds
  • Your funds must be:
    • held in one or more regulated financial institutions
    • free to spend (‘disposable’) in the UK
    •  in the UK or overseas when you apply
    •  held for 2 years consecutively; otherwise you will have to show additional evidence of source of funds proving it was received through gift, deeds of sale, business, will, divorce settlement, award or winning

You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 Investor visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months. You can apply to extend this visa for another 2 years.

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.

Frequently Asked Questions

Which UK companies can I invest into?

Qualifying ‘active and trading UK registered companies’ include those who are:

(i) are registered with Companies House in the UK;
(ii) are registered with HM Revenue and Customs for corporation tax and PAYE;
(iii) have accounts and a UK business bank account, both showing regular trading of its own goods or services;
(iv) have at least two UK-based employees who are not its directors.

Which types of investments are unacceptable?

There are some restrictions regarding how you can invest the money.  You can’t:

  • invest in companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development
  •  invest in offshore company or trust
  •  invest in open-ended investment companies, investment trust companies, investment syndicate companies (pooled resource / shared risk entities such as ‘namecos’ operating as part of a banking, underwriting or insurance syndicate, for example) or pooled investment vehicles
  •  invest in leveraged investment funds
  • work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
  • get public funds

There are also applicable restrictions regarding work as a doctor or dentist, unless:

  • you have a primary degree at bachelors level or above in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence or is a UK recognised or listed body
  • you worked as a doctor or dentist in training the last time you were in the UK
  • neither of those conditions were part of the terms and conditions on a previous visa

Link to the Home Office website

Home Office information on Investor visa (Tier 1)

QC Immigration can help with planning your successful Tier 1 Investor Visa application, call us on 0203 637 8633 or email now.