Need help with UK immigration?

Unmarried Partner / Same-sex Partner Visa2019-12-22T21:33:02+00:00

Unmarried Partner / Same-sex Partner Visa

An Unmarried Partner Visa or Same-sex Partner Visa enables you to remain in the UK if you have been living together with:

In order to obtain a visa under this category, you and your partner must be 18 or above and meet the following requirements:

  • You must have been cohabiting with your partner in a relationship for at least two years at the time of the application.
  • You must meet the English language requirement.
  • You must be able to financially support yourself and any dependants. Read here the Financial Requirements
  • There must be adequate accommodation for you, your sponsor and any dependants.
  • You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long can I stay in the UK as an Unmarried Partner or Same-sex Partner?

You can stay in the UK for at least 2.5 years. You can apply to extend your visa prior to its expiration date.

When can I apply to settle in the UK if I am on the Unmarried Partner visa?

The earliest you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain is after you have resided in the UK for 5 continuous years with leave to remain under the Partner route.

Can I bring my family members with me if I am applying for an Unmarried Partner visa?

You can bring your family members (‘dependants’) with you, namely your children if they are under 18 or if they were under 18 when you first applied and do not live an independent life.

Successful examples of  our unmarried partner / same-sex partner visa work

  • An Australian client cohabited with her British partner in Australia and in the UK for less than two years, namely for 1 year and 11 months. We put forward legal arguments and asked the Home Office to exercise discretion and our client was granted a visa as the Unmarried Partner of a British citizen.
  • Our American client successfully switched from Tier 4 Student Visa to a Same-sex Partner Visa based on qualifying cohabitation with his British partner.
  • Our client from Hong Kong was successfully granted an extension as the Unmarried Partner of a British citizen in a timely manner.

Relevant Blog Articles