Those who want to access the UK to carry out a medical or care-based role can do so through the Health and Care Worker Visa. It allows those who have secured an eligible job with the NHS, an NHS supplier, or adult social care to stay in the UK for up to 5 years.

It can be applied for from outside the UK as well as inside the UK, and you may switch from another visa to the Health and Care Worker Visa. You may bring dependents so long as you meet the requirements to do so.

The Health and Care Worker Visa offers a clear route to ILR (Indefinite Leave To Remain) through 5 years of continuous residency in the UK. This will provide migrants with the eligibility to pursue British Citizenship later down the road.

Health and Care Worker Visa requirements

To successfully apply for a Health and Care Worker Visa, you must make sure that you meet all of the relevant requirements. This may include more general requirements such as an acceptable knowledge of English, and evidence that you can financially support yourself and any dependants that you may bring.

There are further requirements that you must meet to receive this visa such as a Certificate of Sponsorship from your employer and proof that you meet the specified salary requirements for your job.

Please note that there are certain exemptions for doctors, dentists, nurses, or midwives.

General requirements

You must:

  • Have a level of English that meets or exceeds level B1 on the CEFR scale (doctors, dentists, nurses and midwives exempt if you’ve already passed an English Language assessment that is accepted by the relevant regulated professional body).
  • Have proof of available finances to support yourself as well as any dependants that you wish to bring along.
  • Be able to prove that your relationship with any dependants that you wish to bring along is legitimate.

Financial requirements

The financial requirements that you must meet to successfully apply for a Health and Care Worker Visa will depend on your health or care role.

The minimum salary is usually £25,480 per year, or your job’s ‘going rate’, whichever is higher. Specific roles will each have their own ‘going rate’, and there are exceptions for cases where the salary requirements are not met.

Meeting different financial requirements is very much dependent on your role; for job-specific advice, we highly recommend you get in touch so our experienced lawyers can make sure your application meets the requirements for your role.

Job requirements

You must:

  • Be a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional, or adult social care professional.
  • Secure work in an eligible health or social care job.
  • Have a UK employer in the health and care sector that is approved by the Home Office.
  • have a ‘Certificate of Sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK.

Your employment

You must either be employed or have a job offer by an approved UK health and care sector employer, to successfully apply for the Health and Care Worker Visa. Your employment should fall into one of the three following categories:

  • You are employed by the NHS.
  • You are employed by an organisation providing medical services to the NHS.
  • You are employed by an organisation providing adult social care.

Your employer should also be approved to provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship.

Health and Care Visa costs

The application fee for this visa depends on your intended period of stay. The application for up to 3 years will cost £247 per person, while the application for more than 3 years will be £479 per person.

You must also be able to prove that you can support yourself financially when you come to the UK. That means having at least £1,270 in your bank account readily available for up to 28 days before your application is made.

There are additional costs that must also be considered, such as fees for legal assistance, which is highly advisable to receive your Health and Care Worker Visa on the first attempt. This is because the Administrative Review or Appeal Process can prove to be extremely time-consuming as well as costly.

ILR through the Health and Care Workers Visa

As your visa lasts up to 5 years before needing to be extended, it is a great option for health and care workers who are seeking ILR. As you will have met the requirement of 5-years of stay, you can work towards further requirements such as passing the Life in the UK Test.

If you are a health or care professional seeking a path towards ILR or eventual British Citizenship, the Health and Care Workers Visa offers a clear and achievable route.

How QC Immigration can assist your application

At QC Immigration, we have a proven process that has led to successful visa applications. Our team has an in-depth and practical knowledge of immigration law and will be able to assist you with pragmatic guidance.

Increase the likelihood of a granted application by contacting us today, you can click here to contact us online, email us at, or phone us on 0203 637 8633.


Can I bring my family?

Yes, you can bring your partner and children under 18 along as dependants. To do so, you must be able to prove that you can financially support them, or they must prove that they can financially support themselves.

If you extend your stay in the UK, your dependants will also need to apply for extensions.

What if I work in the private health industry?

If you work in the health industry but do not meet the employment requirements, you may gain access to the UK through alternative routes.

Visas such as the Skilled Worker Visa offer those in the private sector the opportunity to gain access to the UK. This is conditional to meeting the relevant requirements and having an employer who is approved to offer a Certificate of Sponsorship.

What happens if my situation changes?

If you have changed your job and are no longer working in health or care, you must switch to one of the other Work Visa routes that you meet the requirements for. If you are still working in health and care but your role or situation has changed, you will have to update the relevant information on your visa.

For example, if you change roles but are working for the same employer, you will have to change your occupation code. Our team can provide further guidance specific to your case.

How long will it take to get a decision on my Health and Care Worker Visa application?

Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you should get a decision on your visa application within 3 weeks. We can advise you on the available priority services to fast-track the application.

Need more information?

Learn more about how we work and support you through the UK Immigration Application Process.

Get In Touch


What do our users say

Thank you very much for your contribution and good job you have done for me and my family. Today, I feel that thanking you is not enough. You will remain in our hearts and we will always have this deepest and sincere regard for you, as you have always shown your kindness and your work have been appreciated by the whole family.

Long Residence Settlement (10 years) client – Mauritian

Qiyin is an extremely diligent and thorough immigration lawyer. She took the time to fully understand my case and application for the highly skilled migrant program. She was very careful to consider both the short and longer term issues related to my application and provided very balanced and frank advice. My highly skilled migrant visa was successfully renewed thanks to her advice and help. I highly recommend her.

Tier 1 (General) visa client – Singaporean

I would like to thank you for all the hard work you’ve done for us in the past few years! I am now finished with the whole process and had my UK Citizenship ceremony. We couldn’t have gotten this far without you!

Entry Clearance Settlement (Spouse) visa client – Canadian

Thank you for all your help. I got the visa this morning and look forward to going on holiday. See you again in 30 months for the next visa.

PEO same-day service (Spouse leave to remain) client – Thai

We are so glad that our friend recommended you to help with our ILR application and we have no doubt it may have been a different story if we were applying without your support! We appreciate your professional approach and knowledge on immigration matters and wish your business well in the future (we are sure you will be very successful). Have no doubt we will be using your services for our application for Citizenship.

Indefinite Leave to Remain (Spouse) client – Russian

The QC Immigration team has proved an absolute star on the immigration front and my son’s fiancée is now happily settled, thank you again.

Partner (Fiancée) Settlement Visa – Brazilian

Many thanks for all your work on our application, especially since I contacted you on short notice! I contacted you on Sept 22nd and we signed up with you on/around Sept 27th! So we pulled this all together a little over 3 weeks.

Premium Service (Fiancée) Partner visa client – American

You have exceeded our expectations by saving us so much time and money when organising this! Thank you for also co-operating with our investment manager and accountant to ensure everything ran smoothly.

Tier 1 Investor (Super Premium Service) client – Chinese

Naturalisation (British Citizenship) client - Dutch

EEA Permanent Residence client – Belgian

My family and I were very emotional receiving the good news today. Thank you for all your help and we will definitely recommend you to our European friends who are planning ahead after Brexit!

Naturalisation (British Citizenship) client – Dutch

My family and I were very emotional receiving the good news today. Thank you for all your help and we will definitely recommend you to our European friends who are planning ahead after Brexit!

Naturalisation (British Citizenship) client – Dutch