We have decades of experience working with businesses and workers worldwide, helping them move successfully to the UK with a relevant Business Visa or Work Visa. If you are looking to sponsor an employee for a UK Expansion Worker Visa or require more information to be sponsored by your employer, please contact us using the link below.

Speak to an expert

Get In Touch


The UK Expansion Worker Visa is one of the new visa options under the Global Business Mobility Visa routes. It is best suited for overseas businesses who wish to start trading in the UK and require employees to set up a branch of the business.

This visa may allow workers to stay up to 12 months from the job starting date, or the time specified on the Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), whichever is the shortest of the two.

UK Expansion Worker Visa requirements

While specific eligibility requirements may vary depending on the job you will be carrying out, the main criteria to meet are the following:

  • You must have worked for the business outside of the UK for at least 12 months, unless you are a high earner receiving more than £73,900 or are a Japanese national working for a Japanese company.
  • Your job must be on the list of eligible occupations.
  • Your employer must provide you with a valid Certificate of Sponsorship.
  • You must be paid the minimum eligible salary for your occupation.
  • The UK business has not started trading yet.
  • You will establish a new UK branch or wholly-owned subsidiary of an established overseas business.

The minimum eligible salary is either £42,400 or the going rate for your job, whichever if the highest of the two.

If your employer is not yet licenced to sponsor employees, they will first need to apply for an Employer Sponsorship Licence.

Proving you are eligible

To prove that you meet the eligibility requirements, you will be required to submit certain documents and information as evidence. These may include:

  • Information about your job title, annual salary, and occupation code.
  • Information about your employer and their sponsor licence number.
  • Your Certificate of Sponsorship reference number.
  • Evidence that you have worked for your current employer outside of the UK, if applicable.
  • Any valid official documents to prove your identity, such as a passport.
  • Documents showing that you and any dependants have enough money to support yourselves, such as bank statements.
  • Proof of relationship, if you are bringing your partner and/or children with you.

Nationals from certain countries may also be required to provide a tuberculosis test result.

Depending on your occupation, your employer may tell you that you need additional documents such as an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate.

How to apply

You will need to apply on the Home Office website. You may submit your application up to 3 months before you are due to start working in the UK.

You will also need to pay the application fee of £259. You’ll also have to consider additional costs such as the healthcare surcharge (usually £624 per year), biometrics enrolment (usually £19.20) or the cost of any certified translations you may need.

You will also need to ensure you and your dependants have enough money to support yourselves when you come to the UK.

Need help?

With extensive experience in business immigration, our team of experts can provide a professional service no matter where you are based. We know what the Home Office is looking for when assessing applications, so we can help you build a strong case and ensure that all requirements are clearly met.

If you would like to discuss your case in greater detail, please get in touch.


  • Can I extend a UK Expansion Worker Visa?

    If you require to stay in the UK for longer, you may apply to extend the visa for a further 12 months. The maximum stay on this visa is 2 years, so if you need to stay longer, you may need to switch to another suitable visa.

  • Can I switch to a UK Expansion Worker Visa?

    If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may be able to switch to a UK Expansion Worker Visa if you are already in the UK on a different visa. If you are on a short-term visa, such as Student Visas or similar, you may not be able to switch.

  • Can I bring dependants on a UK Expansion Worker Visa?

    If you wish to bring your partner and/or children to the UK, they will each need to apply separately, pay the application fee and show they meet the requirements, such as proof of relationship and financial requirements. They will need to provide your application number and must complete their application before they travel to the UK. Contact us for further guidance.

Need more information?

Learn more about how we work and support you through the UK Immigration Application Process.

Get In Touch


What do our users say

Thank you very much for your contribution and good job you have done for me and my family. Today, I feel that thanking you is not enough. You will remain in our hearts and we will always have this deepest and sincere regard for you, as you have always shown your kindness and your work have been appreciated by the whole family.

Long Residence Settlement (10 years) client – Mauritian

Qiyin is an extremely diligent and thorough immigration lawyer. She took the time to fully understand my case and application for the highly skilled migrant program. She was very careful to consider both the short and longer term issues related to my application and provided very balanced and frank advice. My highly skilled migrant visa was successfully renewed thanks to her advice and help. I highly recommend her.

Tier 1 (General) visa client – Singaporean

I would like to thank you for all the hard work you’ve done for us in the past few years! I am now finished with the whole process and had my UK Citizenship ceremony. We couldn’t have gotten this far without you!

Entry Clearance Settlement (Spouse) visa client – Canadian

Thank you for all your help. I got the visa this morning and look forward to going on holiday. See you again in 30 months for the next visa.

PEO same-day service (Spouse leave to remain) client – Thai

We are so glad that our friend recommended you to help with our ILR application and we have no doubt it may have been a different story if we were applying without your support! We appreciate your professional approach and knowledge on immigration matters and wish your business well in the future (we are sure you will be very successful). Have no doubt we will be using your services for our application for Citizenship.

Indefinite Leave to Remain (Spouse) client – Russian

The QC Immigration team has proved an absolute star on the immigration front and my son’s fiancée is now happily settled, thank you again.

Partner (Fiancée) Settlement Visa – Brazilian

Many thanks for all your work on our application, especially since I contacted you on short notice! I contacted you on Sept 22nd and we signed up with you on/around Sept 27th! So we pulled this all together a little over 3 weeks.

Premium Service (Fiancée) Partner visa client – American

You have exceeded our expectations by saving us so much time and money when organising this! Thank you for also co-operating with our investment manager and accountant to ensure everything ran smoothly.

Tier 1 Investor (Super Premium Service) client – Chinese

Naturalisation (British Citizenship) client - Dutch

EEA Permanent Residence client – Belgian

My family and I were very emotional receiving the good news today. Thank you for all your help and we will definitely recommend you to our European friends who are planning ahead after Brexit!

Naturalisation (British Citizenship) client – Dutch

My family and I were very emotional receiving the good news today. Thank you for all your help and we will definitely recommend you to our European friends who are planning ahead after Brexit!

Naturalisation (British Citizenship) client – Dutch